Are you debating whether you should get a hair transplant done to recover hair loss? Because it is such an important and delicate procedure, it’s necessary to weigh all the pros and cons of the treatment.
What are the pros and cons of hair transplantation? Hair transplants, when done by trained professionals, offer guaranteed results, but can be quite the investment. Some of the other pros and cons of hair transplants include:
- Natural results
- Simple procedure
- Safe & painless
- Surgical process
- Needs recovery time
- Chance of infection
Because hair transplants offer more pros than cons, it is easy to believe that getting a hair transplant is the best decision to make. However, each person is different; make sure you understand exactly what a hair transplant is, what the treatment involves, and whether it is the right option for your case. Let’s start with understanding hair transplantation.
What Is Hair Transplantation?
Hair transplantation is a procedure where healthy hair follicles are taken from one part of your scalp and transplanted to areas with hair loss. Using healthy hair for transplantation means that the new hairs retain their genetic features and will continue to grow naturally like the rest of your hair.
There are a few different types of hair transplants available today, but the most common are FUT and FUE transplants:
- FUT or Follicular Unit Hair Transplant is a process where a thin strip of hair (usually 1-4 hairs) is removed from the area of the scalp that is not susceptible to balding and converted into individual grafts. These are then transplanted to the balding area.
- FUE or Follicular Unit Extraction involves taking individual follicular units from the back of the head one by one through a procedure of making tiny holes in that area to remove these follicles. This process takes longer than FUT and is carried out by a highly specialized instrument, but is painless.
Who Can Benefit From Hair Transplants?
Hair transplantation is a cosmetic procedure that can help improve your appearance and boost self-confidence. This could help if you have:
- Patchy baldness or Alopecia
- Thinning hairline
- Injury to the scalp that resulted in hair loss
- Hair loss due to a burn
However, it is not a good idea to get a hair transplant done if:
- You have widespread hair loss
- You are nearing a full bald and don’t have many donor hairs
- Prior hair loss happened due to medication or chemotherapy
Pros of Hair Transplants
Though some hair loss can be treated by switching to a healthier lifestyle or through medication, hair loss due to genetic conditions cannot be rectified. The best option in such cases is undergoing a hair transplant. Here are some advantages of getting a hair transplant:
- Natural Looking Hair – Since the follicle to be transplanted is taken from the patient’s scalp, the implanted hair grows naturally and has the same texture as the original hair. The donor area is not visible post-surgery, and the patient gets a natural hairline in the process.
- Guaranteed Results – Hair transplantation has a very high success rate thanks to the procedure being simple and the use of natural hair. The sophisticated methodology ensures hair growth in bald or thinning areas without affecting the rest of the scalp. The results of a hair transplant are almost always permanent.
- Simple Procedure – The procedure is done under local anesthesia. You may need more than one appointment, but the process is relatively simple. As mentioned earlier, hairs are harvested from other areas of the scalp and “planted” in the balding or thinning area.
- Painless and Safe – The whole procedure is painless and simple since it doesn’t involve making any invasive incisions or stitching. The process is carried under anesthesia, so all you feel is a little sensation and nothing else.
- Permanent Results – Many treatments need regular upkeep and multiple procedures over the course of time, but not a hair transplant. You may need more than one session, but once your treatment is done, it’s life-long. Your new hair is natural and you can care for it like you usually would.
- Improves Appearance and Boosts Self-Confidence – Appearances matter and hair loss and balding can have a negative impact on one’s self-confidence. Getting a hair transplant can boost your self-esteem and help you act confidently in social situations.
Cons of Hair Transplants
There is no doubt that a hair transplant is one of the safest treatments that yield positive results. However, it has some disadvantages that you also must take into account before moving forward with the procedure:
- Cost – The cost of getting a hair transplant is high, and most often, clinics demand the fee upfront. If you don’t go to a specialized clinic that has high credibility, you can lose a lot of money without getting proper treatment. Cost is a huge deterrent, and many people choose natural methods for hair recovery—like lifestyle changes—instead.
- Surgical Process – No matter how simple the process sounds, it is still considered a surgical procedure that takes place under local anesthesia. This fact makes some people uneasy. Make sure you are comfortable with undergoing surgery and following post-surgery precautions.
- Recovery Time – Like any surgical procedure, hair transplants require that clients undergo the full recovery time, which could vary from 10 days to 3 weeks. There are precautions that you need to take immediately after the transplant, like avoiding direct sunlight, pulling or scratching your head, and more. Your physician will be able to provide you with a recovery plan to ensure your hair transplant is successful.
- Risk of Infections – If you don’t let your scalp heal completely, you run the risk of infections, bleeding, or permanent scarring. Furthermore, an infection may not stay limited to your scalp. It could lead to severe headaches, nausea, redness in the eyes, and more. In some severe cases, the infection could also lead to nerve damage in the scalp.
Things to Keep in Mind with Hair Transplants
Now that you are fully aware of what hair transplants are, in addition to their pros and cons, you can better determine whether it is a procedure you want to move forward with or not. However, here are some final things about hair transplants to consider to help you decide:
- Both men and women can undergo a hair transplant successfully.
- Hair transplants work better as a treatment option later in life since most hair loss has already occurred, and there is less of a chance of sudden hair loss.
- The treatment works best if you have patchy baldness or a thinning hairline, as you will likely have plenty of areas available to harvest hair for a transplant.
- A hair transplant is not an effective treatment for changing or altering your natural hairline.
Ultimately, you should take your time to decide whether or not hair transplants are for you. It’s a big decision, so due research not only on the procedure, but the clinic you choose to receive treatment on will go far. Don’t be afraid to ask questions; even if it’s a simple procedure, make sure you’re comfortable with the treatment.
If you decide that a hair transplant is a right option for you, schedule an appointment at a clinic that has a high rating and is credible. Get a proper diagnosis of your hair loss to understand if it is something that is likely to continue in the future. It is essential to understand the cause behind any thinning or balding before you get the transplant done.